Unofficial Firefox flatpak repositoryThis is an unofficial Firefox flatpak repository provided by Fedora and Red Hat maintainers and made for testing purposes. To obtain official Firefox provided by Mozilla go to official website.
We're committed to updating this repository until we state otherwise on this website. http://flatpak.org/getting.html.
The Gnome Runtime is required to run the application. To install its repository execute following command:
flatpak remote-add --from gnome https://sdk.gnome.org/gnome.flatpakrepo
InstallationSo far there are three possible way how to install our flatpacked builds:
- by individual builds using .flatpakref file
- from repository by using .flatpakrepo file
- whole bundle which contains all data in one file (excluding Gnome Runtime) in .flatpak file.
Installing individual buildCurrently unofficial Firefox flatpak repository contains three builds of Firefox:
- org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly - Firefox Nighly
- org.mozilla.FirefoxDevEdition - Firefox Developer Edition
- org.mozilla.FirefoxNightlyWayland - port of Firefox Nightly to Wayland (currently hosted there: https://github.com/stransky/gecko-dev)
- org.mozilla.FirefoxNightlyCSD - Firefox Nighly with Client Side Decorations patches applied, hosted there: (currently hosted there: https://github.com/stransky/gecko-dev/tree/titlebar
flatpak install --from https://firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/BUILD_NAME.flatpakrefFor example if you want to install Firefox Nightly use:
flatpak install --from https://firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly.flatpakrefYou will be prompted if you want to install required Gnome Runtime. This needs to be accepted.
Installing from repository
If you'd like to install more than one build, consider adding our repository by:
flatpak remote-add --from org.mozilla.FirefoxRepo https://firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/org.mozilla.FirefoxRepo.flatpakrepoThen you can install any build by (list of available builds is there):
flatpak install org.mozilla.FirefoxRepo BUILD_NAMEFor example to install Firefox Nightly use:
flatpak install org.mozilla.FirefoxRepo org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly
Advantage of adding repository is that there's only one repository record for all builds, therefore easier repository administration. On the other hand when the .flatpakref is used there is a separate repository entry for each installed build.
Installing bundleYou can also install .flatpak bundle which contains all required files but runtime (see Requirements). The installation of bundle also setup a new repository, so to update bundle you can use instructions from Update section. To do so download .flatpak file you want:
flatpak install FLATPAK_BUNDLE_FILENAMEYou could be prompted if you want to install required Gnome Runtime. This needs to be accepted.
ExecutionAccording to installed builds you can find the application in your desktop application list as:
- Build org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly as Firefox Nightly
- Build org.mozilla.FirefoxDevEdition as Firefox Developer Edition
- Build org.mozilla.FirefoxNightlyWayland as Firefox Nightly - Wayland build
- Build org.mozilla.FirefoxNightlyCSD as Firefox Nightly - CSD build
flatpak run BUILD_NAMEFor example to run Firefox Nightly use:
flatpak run org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly
Please note that when there's existing Firefox session in use the new window of running Firefox instance can be open instead of running flatpacked application. To avoid that use --no-remote option, for example:
flatpak run org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly --no-remote
flatpak update BUILD_NAMEfor example:
flatpak update org.mozilla.FirefoxNightly
UninstallTo uninstall Firefox run following commands:
flatpak uninstall BUILD_NAMEfor example:
flatpak uninstall org.mozilla.FirefoxNightlyIf you also want to get rid of Gnome Runtime, continue with:
flatpak uninstall org.gnome.Platform flatpak remote-delete gnomeAlso look for installed repositories by:
flatpak remote-listRepositories can be removed when all applications from the repository are uninstalled by:
flatpak remote-delete REPOSITORY_NAMENote that a repository has been installed even when an individual build was installed by using .flatpakref file. This allows easy update of the flatpak package.